Prospering Through the 2018 Holiday Hospitality Season
Most restaurateurs hope to just survive the holiday season, and that’s understandable. Many more diners, larger parties, food delivery delays, special holiday recipes, and a host of other pressures make the holidays a challenge. Throw in the staffing issues (no one wants to work during the holidays) and you have a recipe for heartburn.
How can a restaurant handle these issues and turn them around to make the holiday season a profitable and pleasant time? Here are a few suggestions:
- Encourage Reservations. It helps with staffing and supplies when you have a good idea what kind of traffic to expect. No one wants to turn away hungry diners, but waiting is one of the biggest complaints for diners who post online reviews. Send email messages and use social media to encourage your regular diners to make reservations for the holidays.
- Create Drink Specials: Many diners who drink beer every time they eat out might think about trying a special holiday beverage if they’re offered one. This is a great time to boost profits and use some liquors that are normally not big sellers, keep the stock moving. The holidays are also a great time to sell champagne! Have your servers suggest a bottle of bubbly to celebrate the season.
- Create Holiday Desserts: Regular cheesecake becomes Christmas cheesecake with a little innovation, and it’s not hard to tempt people into breaking their diets during the holidays. New Year’s resolutions will remove the guilt and calories.
- Employee Staffing: Many restaurant and hotel employees jump at the chance to work holidays because the cash flows and it’s worth it. If that’s not the case for your situation, there have to be some kind of rewards for the few and the brave who will volunteer.
- Be Prepared: There is nothing more frustrating than getting hit with a big rush of hungry diners and then running out of clean tablecloths or champagne glasses. Check your inventory for everything now while there is still time to order what you need. Make a list, check it twice, and visit our website for everything you need for the front of house and back of house so your 2018 holiday season is the best ever.